Volunteer at The Centre
The goal of our volunteers is to provide “cherry on top” services to the women and children residing at our center. Our staff and programming are designed to cover the basic needs of our residents and help them overcome any traumas that they have experienced. Our volunteers are here to help our residents to really feel at home, to feel safe and part of a community.
We aim to empower our volunteers for personal growth and development. We are always looking at ways to improve our volunteer program, and the experiences of our volunteers. We offer continuous training on varying topics throughout the year, and opportunities to develop leadership and planning skills. We encourage our volunteers to contribute to program growth and share their opinions on areas that we can expand into or improve upon. We strive to foster a welcoming and inclusive environment in which our volunteers are able to connect with other volunteers, our staff, and our residents.
Available Volunteer Roles
- Are you a natural host that is warm and welcoming? Our Front Desk Coordinator is an ideal role for people looking to gain some hands on experience in a professional environment. It is also well suited to people that are available weekdays and enjoy getting out of the house and visiting with others.
- Are you a DIY-er that loves to share your knowledge? Our Helping Hands role is a perfect opportunity for trades people looking to give back or gain “hands-on” experience, or anyone that finds themselves “handy” and enjoys the immediate results of rejuvenating damaged items or just helping out around the Centre.
- Are you a Thrift Store junkie that loves finding hidden treasures? Do you believe that “there’s a place for everything and everything in it’s place”? Donation Station is a great role for people that thrive on organization and seeing the immediate results of their work. This role offers flexible hours that can work with any schedule.
- Are you an interior decorator at heart? Our Home Decor Coordinators thrive on making a house a home.
- Are you a social butterfly that loves to connect people? Try our Pilot Project- Social Nights Coordinator role. This role will have you working directly with our residents doing fun activities like art nights, clothing swaps, hosting guest speakers, or cooking nights. This role has lots of room for growth and development and will need our volunteers’ feedback in further developing it.
- Are you a kid at heart? Join our Pilot Project- Kids Night Coordinator and have some fun playing with the kids at our Centre and the community gymnasium. This role has lots of room for growth and development and will need our volunteers’ feedback in further developing it.
- Do you love kids and everything about them? Join our well-established child care team as a Play Centre Support and spend your time nurturing the kids in the Play Centre.
- Do you have any other special skills that can contribute to helping women and children? We are always looking for Specialized Volunteers with experience in areas such as (but definitely not limited to) website design, accounting, legal, or commercial building maintenance/skilled trades.
Are you a good male role model, or do you know of one? We have an urgent need for positive male influences for our women and children that unfortunately have not had the best experiences with males in their lives. All of our volunteer roles are perfectly suited to males and we would love to see some more friendly male faces around the Centre.
Most of our roles are well suited for couples, friends, or parents with older children wishing to volunteer together. If you’ve been nervous to volunteer on your own, bring a friend or family member and join our team!
Our volunteer philosophy is to make volunteering a beneficial and enjoyable experience for our volunteers, staff, and residents. We do our best to cater to the needs of our volunteers, and remove barriers to volunteering. If you have any special requests or accommodations, please let us know and we will do our best to come to a mutually beneficial arrangement.
What Our Volunteers Say About Us
I love to volunteer at BSC! Every Thursday that I get to go there is one of the best days of my week. I discovered that I love doing simple tasks. I never thought it would bring me benefits such as relaxation. It is actually a great combination of accomplishment and relaxation. Besides that, while I volunteer, I am surrounded by smiling people: the girls and their families who live in the shelter as well as the staff members. Thursdays are my perfect days!! - Patricia, Bread Program and Donations Station
I’ve been volunteering at BSC for over three years in a variety of roles. Not only have I learned a great deal about the impact of domestic violence on women and children, I have been heartened by the positive outlook of the families at BSC and the strength they have. Whether it is a staged apartment, donations sorted for their use, a Christmas or Easter party, or delivering Xmas packages, knowing the small things I and other volunteers do to make their lives a bit easier keeps me coming back. – Debra, every area volunteer