COVID-19 and the Brenda Strafford Centre
The Brenda Strafford Centre continues to be fully operational during the COVID-19 pandemic. We continue to provide safe and secure housing and comprehensive services such as trauma-informed counselling, basic need support and much more for adults and families at risk who have experienced family violence. If you are experiencing family violence please call the 24 hour Family Violence Helpline (403) 234-SAFE (7233) , if this is an emergency situation please call 911.
We Could Not Do It Without You!
Throughout the COVID-19 pandemic we have been generously supported by our donor community and partner agencies such as Soap For Hope, Leftovers Foundation, various restaurants in the community, and the YYC Heroes Project who have donated cloth masks for clients and staff. These agencies along with our community of individual donors and businesses have helped ensure our clients have access to basic needs items and a variety of pantry items and meals.
We also want to thank and acknowledge everyone who contributed to the Lost & Found Campaign and helped exceed our goal of $20,000! Special thanks to Circle K and Quarry Park Chiropractic for their generous corporate donations. These crucial funds have helped support the diverse needs of families during the pandemic and will continue to help address anticipated future needs.
Letting Kids Be Kids - Update
This Summer we will be going ahead with an adapted version of the Letting Kids Be Kids Summer Program. The program’s purpose is to provide our families with opportunities to visit local attractions and experiences free of charge, the program also supplies our families with readiness items such as running shoes, backpacks or rain gear to be able to enjoy recreation. Our families look forward to this program every year and we are happy to be able to provide a modified program this year. Please contact Manager of Fund Development, Jorge Torres for inquires on sponsoring or donating to the Letting Kids Be Kids program!
How We Are Taking Action
June 25 Update:
We have made the following changes to protect and support our clients, our staff and our community:
- Since COVID-19 began we have been able to avoid any outbreaks at our Centre
- We continue to follow safety standards such as increased cleaning and encouraging the use of masks and social distancing measures
- We have welcomed our amazing team of volunteers back to the Centre and are once again accepting new volunteers! Visit – to learn more
- We have been generously provided suitable Personal Protection Equipment during this pandemic thanks to the Government of Alberta!
- We continue to utilize our Centre’s Crisis Response Worker to monitor the evolving needs of our families
- Thank you to Hillhurst Sunnyside Community Association who are supporting our clients in accessing fresh fruits and vegetables
- Thank you to I Can For Kids for their support in supplying snacks and food items for our respite child care over the summer in our Play Centre
- All funds received through our donation form during this pandemic are designated to support families now and in the challenges to follow
How You Can Help
We greatly appreciate all of the support we are receiving from our community in this challenging time. Thank you for your continued support.
- Financial Donations - please donate online here or mail your donation to Box 61141 Kensington PO, Calgary, AB T2N 4S6
- Gift Cards
- Baby food
- Diapers (sizes 4, 5, 6) and Pull-Ups
- Non-perishable food items
- Laundry Detergent
- Period Products
- Toiletries such as Shampoo, Conditioner, Hand Soap and Body Wash
- Baby Clothing and Toys
- Children's Toys
- Teen and Adult Clothing (New or Gently Used)